Saturday, October 19, 2013

Welcome to the Land of weird monsters, whimsical stuffed animals, angsty creatures and geeky aliens...

I'm a soft sculpture artist who creates unique, handmade monsters, aliens, stuffed animals, and creatures. I've been sketching crazy little monsters and creatures since the second grade and--about ten years ago--decided to bring my sketches to life in plush form.

Each creation is filled with goofy humor and good energy, and I *love* making them. (And most consist of 60-90% recycled materals.)

My primary selling venue has been the e-commerce site Etsy. They were founded on a commitment to handmade creations, authentic vintage, and crafting supplies. However, recently Etsy announced they will soon allow mass-produced items to be labeled as 'handmade.' I feel this is not only dishonest, but also will bury truly handmade creations under a mountain of mass-produced 'stuff' labeled as handmade.

In protest, I've moved my online creature shop to Zibbet, which is truly dedicated to the integrity of handmade. Starting this blog is part of my journey to share my creations and to share articles about the future of handmade in a world that likes mass production.  :)

Best, Anne

My shop:  www.creaturesnorthwest.com

Opal (the creature below):  http://www.zibbet.com/creaturesnorthwest/artwork?artworkId=1761684

No comments:

Post a Comment